Disclaimer: This post was written while I was suffering from a bit of a post-travel head cold. If it is riddled with typos, or if anything doesn’t make sense, please blame the germs. Grammatically correct and coherent posts to return soon.
Thank you to Katelyn, a fellow Canadian west coaster who writes the amazing Wanderlust Series blog for the nomination for the wonderful Liebster Award, and for your very kind words:
Gotta support fellow Canadians! I love Kate’s blog because she writes about international destinations, but also about Canadian escapes as well! As someone who has never been past Alberta in Canada, her posts about areas on the Eastern side of the country pique my interest like none have before. Her pictures and writing are both beautiful and frank. Well done, Kate!
So first of all, thank you Katelyn for the nomination and passing the Liebster torch to me; I honestly can’t tell you how much I appreciate it! Second of all, if you’re interested in traveling like a local then definitely check out Katelyn’s blog – it’s full of great stories, amazing tips and so much more!
So, what is the Liebster Award? The Liebster Award is an online award given to new-ish bloggers by more established bloggers, or bloggers who’ve been nominated for the award. It’s a great way to discover new blogs and share a little online love and support.
As with most things in life, there are a few rules and responsibilities that come with this great online honour:
- Thank the person/blog who nominated you and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog. This can be done by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a widget (note: the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog/post).
- Answer the 10 questions about yourself that your nominating blogger chooses for you.
- Nominate blogs that you feel deserve the award. These must be new bloggers (less than two years blogging) who have fewer than 1000 followers.
- Create a list of questions for your nominated bloggers to answer.
- List these rules in your post (feel free to cut & paste!)
- Inform the blogs that you nominated that they have been awarded the award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it.
With number 1, 2, and 6 accomplished, let’s keep it rolling. Here are the questions Katelyn has asked me to answer:
What inspired you to start your blog?
I love to write, and even though it was a large part of my day job I missed having a creative outlet. Last summer, when my boyfriend and I decided that we were moving from Ottawa, Canada to Madrid Spain, I knew it was the perfect time to start a blog and share my stories and adventures (and misadventures) with family, friends and the world!
What resource do you find most valuable for your blog?
I spent six years working in communications, PR and marketing, so I use a lot of the tools, resources and knowledge that I picked up there to help me with my blog.
I subscribe to a few of newsletters—Travel Blog Success, PRNewser and PR Daily News, and Social Media Examiner and Social Times—to keep me up to date on the latest trends. And, I try to be involved in online communities like Girls vs Globe and Girls LOVE Travel to be inspired by my fellow bloggers.
What activities to you enjoy outside of blogging?
Outside of blogging, I (obviously) enjoy traveling. I love exploring new cities, eating new foods, and climbing hills and towers to get the best views (even though it terrifies me). I also really enjoy cooking, reading, and have a soft spot for knitting—although I can only knit scarves or anything that involved just straight lines.
What tactics do you employ on those days when blogging is hard & frustrating?
When writers block hits me I try to get away from the computer. Going for a walk or doing anything else lets me think about the post and I usually start drafting it in my head. If I’m under the gun and need to get something out, I just start typing and see where it goes.
If you could choose to be any animal, what would it be and why?
If I could be any animal I would be a Quokka – they’re curious, seem to be happy go-lucky little guys, and they love to take awkward/awesome selfies. Perfect fit.
What are your three favorite blogs to follow?
Young Adventuress and Adventurous Kate because they inspired me to start blogging, and Coco and Vera, because she has great fashion sense, takes beautiful photos and has the most amazing talent when it comes to flat lays.
What piece of blogging advice have you found to be most helpful?
Stop thinking, just do it. I tend to over think everything, so this is not only good blogging advice, but also life advice.
Are you a full-time blogger or do you also hold down a day job?
I guess you could say I’m a full-time blogger, as I’m currently living in Spain, traveling, blogging and trying to learn Spanish. But, I don’t anticipate living this life of leisure for much longer. Soon I’ll be back to working and blogging.
What is your favorite post on your blog thus far?
I have a few:
- I liked the Traveler vs. Tourist piece that I wrote recently because it’s not the sort of post I normally write and it was good to step out of my comfort zone a bit.
- Your Conversations May Be Monitored, my recap of our visit to the KGB Museum in Tallinn, because it was just so fun to write.
- Two Sides to Helsinki, it was fun to compare and contrast my two visits to the Finnish capital and because the photos were beautiful.
- Expat Update 06: My Recent Ups and Downs as a Trailing Spouse. This is one of my most personal pieces and I was hesitant (so scared) to put it all out there, but I did and it got an amazing response.
What social media platforms do you use and which one is most effective for you?
Enough about me. Here are the nominees…
Happy to Wander. Christina is on the hunt for meaningful travel experiences, and she shares those stories on her blog Happy to Wander. Her pages and posts are filled with great stories and amazing photos, and it’s hard not to get lost in the pages.
Reporter on the Road. Florence is a traveler, photographer and the writer of Reporter on the Road. This bilingual blog shares travel stories, tips and tricks, and longer articles on society and culture. She shares her impressions and adventures in far off places, and takes the most beautiful photos. She’s definitely piqued my wanderlust for a few new locations!
Hipstorical. Kelsey is the brains behind the quirky and amazing blog Hispstorical. I enjoy Kelsey’s blog because she focuses on writing about locations in the US that I’m dying to visit (Portland, Chicago). She’s always on the lookout for unique, converted locations, and I love living vicariously through her site.
Jet-setter Jones. Blogger Becky suffers from an anxiety disorder, but she’s not letting that stop her from exploring the world and checking things off her bucket list. Jet-setter Jones is an honest look at traveling – the good, the bad and everything in between. She writes to try and tackle the stigma surrounding mental health, and really is an inspiration to anyone who might think they can’t travel – for whatever reason.
Atlas Enchanted. If you’re looking for travel inspiration, tips and city guides, than look no further than Atlas Enchanted. Blogger Inês shares stories from her travels throughout her native-Portugal, other European countries and beyond, and takes some amazing photos! She’s curious about the world, and definitely inspires the same in others.
My questions for the nominees are as follows:
- When did you start your blog and why?
- What is your favourite travel destination, and why?
- And, your least favourite?
- What is the best food you’ve eaten?
- What is the best piece of blogging advice you’ve received?
- What are your favourite film, colour, and song?
- What is your proudest travel moment?
- What blog post are you most proud of?
- What piece of advice would you give to new/aspiring bloggers?
- If you could have dinner with five people (alive or dead) who would they be?
- BONUS: Where can people find you? (share your social media links)
Thank you again to Katelyn for the nomination! And to everyone who checks out the blog – whether regularly or sporadically – it really means a lot to me!
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. All thoughts, feelings and opinions shared on this blog and in this post are my own.