My goal for 2016 was to read 18 books, just 1.5 per month. It seemed like a SMART goal, in that it was totally attainable and had a definite time limit. I knew that I should be able to achieve this goal given that I had ample time off this year (and took many a flight and bus ride) but I was shocked when mid-year I found myself sprinting towards the finish line. In the end, I managed to blow my goal out of the water and read 32 books!
Now, I can’t lie and say they were all life-changing, amazingly great books – because some of them were the complete opposite – but I’m really glad I made the effort to dedicate more time to relaxing, to learning and to being entertained; it was such a treat to be able to spend so much time curled up with a book.
Here’s the complete list of what I read in 2016, my favourites in bold.
- Let’s Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir
- Tricky Twenty-Two
- Luckiest Girl Alive
- Paris Letters
- Yes Please
- Me Before You
- Mistakes I Made at Work: 25 Influential Women Reflect on What They Got Out of Getting It Wrong
- The Girl in the Spider’s Web
- Modern Romance
- Spark Joy
- The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck
- 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think
- What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding: A Memoir
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- China Rich Girlfriend
- No Way to Kill a Lady: A Blackbird Sisters Mystery
- Little Black Book of Murder: A Blackbird Sisters Mystery
- A Little Night Murder: A Blackbird Sisters Mystery
- The Nest
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
- The Husband’s Secret
- The Nightingale
- Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
- The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
- Bird by Bird
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Better Than Before
- Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person
- Truly Madly Guilty
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- 13 Little Blue Envelopes
And with 2016 quickly coming to a close, it’s time to start thinking about the new year and setting new reading goals.
For 2017, I won’t be embarking on an overly ambitious goal, like reading 1 book per week (how would I keep up with TV?!) but will be switching it up. Most of the books I read tend to be set in North America (mostly the US) or England, which gives me a small window into just a couple of different worlds. So, to broaden my horizons and to add a new element to my travels and memories, for 2017, I’d like to read a book set in each of the countries I’ve had the chance to explore.
Given that it might be difficult to find books set in some of these countries, I’m looking for any and all recommendations you can share with me, reader-friends. If you’re read a great (or semi-great) book set in one of the countries listed below, hit me up!
Austria • Belgium • Belarus • Canada • Costa Rica • Czech Republic • Denmark • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Hungary • Italy • Jamaica • Morocco • Netherlands • Nicaragua • Poland • Portugal • Russia • Slovakia • Spain • Sweden • Switzerland • United Kingdom • United States
What are your reading goals for 2017?
Save this post for Later
Stay in Touch with Petite Adventures
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. All thoughts, feelings and opinions shared on this blog and in this post are my own.