Just like January 1st, Birthdays are a fresh start. They’re a blank canvas for the year ahead, and a great time to set new goals and intentions.
And, on Saturday morning, as I sat in bed sipping coffee I did just that: I thought about what I wanted the next year of my life to look like and set a few specific goals.
Because my birthday falls so close to the beginning of the year, it can be easy to parrot the resolutions I wrote about just six weeks ago but that’s not what this list is about. This list is about the fun, sometimes ridiculous, specific events and activities I would like to take part in over the next 12 months.
At 32, if I can look back and have checked off even half of this list, I’ll know it was a great year.
So, without further ado, here are the 31 things I want to see, do, eat and drink this year, to make it my best year yet!
- Visit 31 countries (not 31 countries this year, but get my count up to 31… I currently sit at 26)
- See the northern lights
- Go to a major sporting event
- Try indoor rock climbing (with helmets and harness, natch)
- Push past that fear of heights (aka be mildly okay standing near the edge of something, well, within a few feet of the edge)
- Take a relaxing beach vacation
- Write five chapters of a book
- Travel above the arctic circle
- Visit Paris
- See the Norwegian Fjords
- Go parasailing
- See a puffin in the wild
- Oktoberfest in Germany
- Visit London
- Sleep in an unconventional hotel (ice, igloo, glass top, tree house, yurt, etc.)
- Visit a microstate (Lichtenstein, Andorra, Malta)
- Pick-up a new, non-computer related hobby (I’m intrigued by cross-stitching… to further my descent into senior citizenism)
- Relax in a Scandinavian spa
- Be able to do 31 push-ups in one go
- Learn a new language and practice the ones I already know
- Keep a plant alive (fourth times the charm, right…)
- Tour a city on a Vespa
- Go on a cruise (or, I will accept a long-ish ferry trip)
- Drink a proper English tea in a tea house
- Do one random act of kindness (at least one)
- Go skiing or snowshoeing
- Stop procrastinating
- Get my picture taken at Platform 9¾ at King’s Cross Station
- Take a cooking class
- Experience the Sampo Icebreaker on the Arctic high seas
- Jump more (because, as you’ll see below, I need the practice), but also jumping up, in and for joy as often as I can
Save this post for Later
Stay in Touch with Petite Adventures
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. All thoughts, feelings and opinions shared on this blog and in this post are my own.